Reports from iGaming Business suggest that the Google Play Store will accept gaming and sports betting Android apps in the UK, and some other markets later this year. The Play Store serves millions of Android users worldwide and is expected to end its restrictions in the UK, France and Ireland, according to reports from gambling operators.
At present gaming sites can’t release a sports betting or gaming app to the store, they could only offer their mobile app via their own third-party channels. Gambling operators have not yet been able to promote their services through the main Android platform. With nearly 50% of the market share across mobile devices in the UK been Android, it has been quite restrictive to the gaming and sports betting operators with the growth of mobile in the industry.
The Google Play correspondence was reported by UK-based tech company Degree 53, which provides app development services to companies such as BetFred and 888 Holdings.
According to Andrew Daniels, Degree53’s managing director, Google said: “From the beginning of August 2017, Google will accept applications for the distribution of gambling apps within the Play store in the UK, France and the Republic of Ireland. At a later date, this policy change may be expanded to new regions and countries.“
As quoted in iGaming Business, Daniels added: “Upon submission, developers will be required to provide documentation for the apps, including licences for the countries they’re looking to target. This process will likely be similar to Apple’s, taking slightly longer to approve to make sure everything is done correctly and legally. This is a huge opportunity for gaming operators to grow their Android app portfolio and user base.”
At present, there has been no official word from the Play Store, but we will be keeping a keen eye on this news story.
See our latest client case study with BetBright, and discover how Xtremepush is helping the world’s leading Sports Betting and Gaming brands increase engagement and drive revenue. If you are preparing your Android App for the Play Store, get in touch with the team today.
- The Xtremepush Use Case Series: Educating your user - October 5, 2017
- Optimove Connect 2017: Xtremepush Official Sponsors - October 2, 2017
- Xtremepush partner with Hotcourses Group on new Whatuni App - September 22, 2017
- Xtremepush: Push is on to engage online clients - September 19, 2017
- Xtremepush live on Google Tag Manager - August 28, 2017
- Google to open Play Store to Gaming and Sports Betting Apps - July 21, 2017
- BIG Fintech Media Podcast: A Data-Driven Approach to Marketing - July 12, 2017
- Xtremepush partner with GDPR Awareness Coalition - May 16, 2017
- Xtremepush included in the 2017 Ammeon FinTech Map - May 8, 2017
- Xtremepush to showcase our Fintech solution at the global Temenos Community Forum - April 20, 2017