Last month, rumours started to surface that Google was planning to accept gaming and sports betting apps in its Play store. The rumours were proven to be true as of the 2nd of August 2017, Google finally withdrew its ban and will now be home to sports betting and gambling apps. Sports betting and gaming apps will only be accessible on the Play Store in the UK, Ireland and France. With almost 50% of the market share across mobile devices in the UK being Android, it has been quite restrictive in the past to the gaming and sports betting operators even with the growth of mobile in the industry.
Overview of the new regulations:
A company that has developed a gambling app or is in the midst of developing a gambling app must acquire a valid gambling license in the country they wish to administer the app. The apps must essentially have appropriate age restrictions to prohibit underage users from accessing the app and must have a rating of Adult Only (AO). The app must be free to download from the play store. Also the app should vividly show information about responsible gambling. In relation to gambling adverts, they will have to adhere to local industry standards and must prevent adverts being seen by anyone under the age of 18.
As quoted in the Gaming Metropolis, Robert Smith, the head of mobile and new channels at Kindred and the operator behind Unibet casino, said, “We know our players want apps and this give us a much easier distribution method to reach those players.”
Smith also provided a powerful piece of information stating that there are 10 times more players using iOS gambling apps than there are players playing via mobile web on Android.
Xtremepush and leading gaming brands
Our clients are now preparing to launch their new Android Apps to the Google Play Store. See our latest client case study with BetBright, and discover how Xtremepush is helping the world’s leading Sports Betting and Gaming brands increase engagement and drive revenue. If you are preparing your Android App for the Play Store, get in touch with the team today.
- Why Airlines should use Push Notifications as part of of their Multi-Channel Engagement Strategy - December 20, 2017
- How Beacon Technology can transform the Banking Industry - December 18, 2017
- Uber’s error ahead of GDPR is valuable lesson for businesses - November 24, 2017
- Research shows that Irish Firms are NOT ready for GDPR - November 16, 2017
- The Importance of Web Push Notifications for Retailers - November 15, 2017
- GDPR and what it means for Email Marketing - November 9, 2017
- The Xtremepush Use Case Series: Basket Recovery in the Retail Industry - October 19, 2017
- The Xtremepush Use Case Series: Cart Recovery for the Sports Betting & Gaming industry - October 12, 2017
- Xtremepush: Top 10 Marketing Automation Solution Provider 2017 - October 11, 2017
- The Benefits of using Google Tag Manager - October 3, 2017